Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hooray! A Shelter Manager Who Loves Pits!

I would just like to share my pleasure that the new shelter manager at the Humane Society of Williamson County (where I am volunteer webmaster) owns a pit bull and is a huge fan of the breed-type. She expressed interest in doing pit bull education activities and I could not be more pleased to hear it, especially since the previous shelter manager was less-than-thrilled about pit bulls and had no problem putting them at the top of the euthanasia list when space got low.

Of course, the shelter itself needs a lot of work in many areas, and I am sure the new manager will have her hands full for quite a while. Any special attention given to pit bull-specific education and outreach is undoubtedly low on the priority list. But I am excited that the pits at the shelter finally have a shelter manager who cares about them.

Readers - if you have not done so recently - please make a donation of time, money, or goods to your local pit-friendly animal shelter or rescue group. It is so easy to do and it makes a huge difference in the lives of homeless pit bulls. Donations don't need to cost a lot of money. For a while, my shelter had empty milk jugs on their wish list. Empty milk jugs, for crying out loud. I throw away three empty jugs a week! (Needless to say, they took that off their wish list because of me - I keep them well stocked.) Ask your local shelter or rescue group what you can do to help them. It's probably a lot easier than you think.

No comments: