Saturday, August 22, 2009

New foster

I'm back from a week-long trip to Oregon (visit with family) and will have plenty to share about that trip in a bit... but thought I would share this breaking news since it's way more exciting and a lot cuter.

We have a new foster puppy. This nameless little guy is about 11 weeks old and has some sort of mange. I have just started fostering for a local rescue group, Austin Pets Alive, and when they sent out the alert about him, I went and pulled him from the local kill shelter. At this shelter, most unclaimed dogs with medical problems (esp. mange) are euthanized unless pulled by a rescue group, so this little guy's life depended on finding a foster.

Since we don't yet know whether the mange is demodectic (not contagious) or sarcoptic (contagious), he's in isolation in our bathtub until we find out, presumably on Monday when we can take him to the vet.

Our dogs aren't allowed near him; the bathroom's been closed off with a baby gate to add an extra layer of separation. I also wash my hands every time I touch the puppy, and I have one of Byrd's large shirts in the bathroom, worn like a smock when carrying or handling the puppy. I sure hope the mange is demodex... it'll be hard to keep this up for several weeks if it is contagious.

I've decided to name him Dubby if allowed. This is because, a while back, there was another little puppy at APA that could have been this guy's double, mange and all.

I take him out to potty in the extra dog kennel, the one that previously housed Peepers when he was sick, the one that has also been used for doggy "time out" and for temporary containment of stray dogs and injured wild birds. I remind Byrd about this every time he talks about dismantling "that useless kennel."

Dubby is so cute, sweet, smart, and surprisingly quiet. I don't know how long it will last, but I presume he will start acting a bit more rowdy once his mange gets treated and he feels better. So, of course, I'm taking this opportunity to teach him some basic obedience.

Star would love to play with him, I'm sure, but that will have to wait for a while.

13 comments:

PoochesForPeace said...

YAYYY FOSTER!!!!! He's so cute. It seems like the mange got bad really fast? Or does it just look worse in the pictures than it is?
Can't wait to hear more about him!!

Kembree said...

He is ADORABLE!! Looks like he's white?? Seems like a lot of the white ones get it bad. My Lane had it, he's very 'pink' skinned. He cleared up pretty quicky but to this day very 'itchy' all the time. Thanks for doing that!! That is WONDERFUL that you saved him!!!

Kristina said...

He is so sweet! I have to brown brindle pits and they are the family "babies". They are both good natured, but I would like to have them trained so that I can have them in the house with me and them not tear everything up. Its something Im looking into. I love them both so much and I love that you do what you do!

Raising Addie said...

OMD what a sweetie!!!

AND we agree that it is wonderful that you saved him!!

You sure will have your hands full!

...on another note, did you hear about the new WOW expansion?! Too cool!! The costume contest was fun but not as good as last year!

Have a great rest of the weekend!
Staci

The Oceanside Animals said...

Aww, poor little guy. He reminds me of Dennis when we fostered him (only smaller of course). Dennis's mange turned out to be demodex, hope Dubby's is too.

Dennis was surprisingly quiet too when he was recovering from his mange/malnourishment/kennel cough. Then he started feeling better, and, well, we all know how that turned out ...

Anonymous said...

OMG You are an Angel!! He looks adorabul but also very sick. Do you think he will be ok? I hope its no the contagious kind, it will make your life a lot easier. Good to have you back :)

Anonymous said...

He is ADORABULL! Here's hoping to the non-contagious kind of mange. Puppies are so much work, but man are they rewarding.

All fingers and paws crossed here in Richmond for a positive vet report.

Leila & Quizz

Princess said...

How cute is he? Thank you for taking the time to go save him and bring him home with you so he has the chance to get better! I can't wait to see how this turns out. He's adorable and deserves a great new start in life and he's lucky to have you as the one to provide it!

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

what a cutie - we look forward to hearing how he is doing - we are all resuce and know how important you are for helping

Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

Sharon said...

Oh how cute! He looks like such a little sweetheart. And of course I like the name Dubby ;)

S and D

PBOforlife said...

He is absolutely adorable, even in the condition he's in. You are AMAZING. You come back from vacation and go get a foster. THANK YOU for all you do for our breed!!! So glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

Let us know how he is as soon as you get the report!

Luda said...

Thank you for saving this cute little guy's life. I noticed he is blue eyed, and what looks like might be fur on his tail is white. I have heard there is a correlation between white furred, blue eyed dogs (and cats for that matter) and deafness. Can this little guy hear?

Hope you get good news at the vet.