Thursday, April 02, 2009

Green egg white?

I tossed out the last of our store-bought eggs the other day; we'll be eating our fresh chicken eggs from now on.

I was convinced of the need to avoid store-bought when I cracked open the first of the last of the store-bought eggs, intending to cook it, to discover that the albumen (the white part) was a florescent green color.

I could not believe it at first. I thought I was surely seeing things. I popped open a second egg. This one was a normal clear color. I could compare the two and see the obvious difference in color. It was like someone had poured highlighter ink into the one egg.

I started frying, still thinking I had just completely lost my mind. Maybe the florescent part would go away if I blinked a whole lot?

Frying only made the difference more obvious, as the good egg turned a lovely white with a bright yellow center, while the odd egg's florescence fairly glowed.

All the eggs went in the trash. I don't know why that egg was green inside. But I think I'll take my chances with the backyard hens.

I tried to get a photo, but the color difference just doesn't show well on a camera phone.

9 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

I guess now we know what all those recent UFOs have been looking for ...

Leila said...

Mutant Eggs! That was taking green eggs and ham too far. That's why you have chickens!

Heidi said...

Did you ever find the cause? I just had this happen to me only I had brown eggs from a farm not commercial eggs. Looks just like your picture.

Anonymous said...

EGG WHITE--A cloudy white in a raw egg is caused by carbon dioxide and indicates freshness. As the egg ages, the carbon dioxide escapes through the pores of the egg, and the white will become less cloudy. A pinkish or greenish-blue raw egg white possibly indicates spoilage with a certain bacteria (Pseudomonas spp). We recommend not eating these eggs.

http://www.bfhd.wa.gov/edu/eggucation.php

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

2 days ago I had an organic egg with blue-green white. I had hard-boiled it and was startled by the color. No bad smell, just weird color and it was obvious that the yolk had partially broken - I assume this happened before I boiled it because in 50 years of boiling eggs, this has never happened. Looked it up on the web and various AG folks say it's harmless and is dependent on what the chicken ate. I ate it, no side effects whatsoever.......

Cathy said...

I just opened the lime greenest egg white ever from a free range, never been in a cage, hen. Am very curious to know the cause.

Unknown said...

Today my roommate and I made a seven-egg scrambie. Upon cracking the third egg, we noticed a light green coloring in the 'white' area. We decided to proceed with the scrambie and ate the eggs.

No side effects other than I pooped one extra time today.

Unknown said...

I just cracked open a free range egg and dam for sure it was highlighter florescent green. Not slightly green or blueish green nor dark green but rather toxic green or slime green seen in movies.lol WTH is it?
Love the pits! Just lost my 7 month old due to a temporary FU order by a judge. :(